What's it all about?
At it's most simple, it is about making decisions in the best interest of the entire organisation, as opposed to serving the selfish profit&loss motivation of individual divisions/departments.
By adopting an enterprise approach, organisations:
- can focus on the business needs of the entire enterprise
- become aware of multiple systems in different divisions that are providing the same service
- develop solutions for the whole organisation to benefit
- save money by reusing solutions across divisions (instead of duplicating per division)
- reduce support costs by not needing to support different vendor solutions for the same service in different departments